Who are we, and what do we do?
At Corteva Agriscience, you will help us grow what’s next. No matter what your role, you will be part of a team that is building the future of agriculture – solving the world’s food problems through innovation, technology, and putting people first.
Corteva Agriscience is excited to hire an Operating Engineer to support the Indianapolis, IN site. The purpose of this job is to operate and maintain all mechanical plant and facilities equipment 24 hours a day, 7 days a week throughout the year. In this role you will support the operations of our building management system, steam and hot water boilers, chillers and water treatment equipment, Insectary, growth chambers, and the greenhouse operations. We utilize a best in class operations and maintenance program and predictive preventive maintenance plan to run our operations. Flexibility as a dual crafts person is imperative of our ideal candidate.
As a part of an empowered team, the incumbent must communicate effectively within a diverse working environment which includes Scientists and Lab personnel, Contractors, Building Managers, and all other Operations personnel. Communication is necessary on a daily basis to relay equipment condition information and any cost effective maintenance repairs required utilizing our Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) philosophy for a timely return to our client and/or operations department.
This role is for a second/third shift position, which will begin the first few months of the job on a day shift schedule for training purposes
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Operate building equipment and systems:
- The primary responsibility of this role is to operate the building equipment and systems; i.e. Boilers, chillers, air handlers; in a safe, efficient, and effective manner according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Respond to building or system alarms in a timely manner and make equipment adjustments and repairs as needed. Based on the type of repair required, the incumbent is empowered to call in the appropriate resources as required after hours to prevent loss to research projects or equipment.
- Utilize technical expertise in Refrigeration, Electrical, Instrumentation, Building Management System, and Plumbing to systematically troubleshoot and diagnose all mechanical systems and piping related issues.
- Incumbent is responsible for interfacing with our computerized maintenance work order tracking system to enter work requests, track work orders, and review equipment maintenance history.
- Understand and utilize safe work processes including safe work permits, energy isolation, confined space, and line and equipment opening.
- Makes building rounds and takes critical equipment readings for predictive preventative maintenance evaluations and database input.
- Performs analysis on boilers, cooling towers, DI and RO water systems. Makes necessary adjustments to maintain water quality for research needs and process requirements.
- Responds to building client calls and requests.
Maintenance work activities:
- The Incumbent must understand research project timelines and operations requirements to prioritize and schedule work.
- Assist in creating job packages and job scopes for overall equipment effectiveness. The job scope and package define the work description and contains all information about required labor, material and necessary support services required to ensure safe, effective and efficient completion or work.
- The incumbent is empowered to make critical decisions that resolve plant maintenance issues on a 24/7 basis to ensure overall equipment efficiency.
- Performs predictive and preventative maintenance on a scheduled basis to ensure equipment availability and dependability.
- Represent the Operations and Maintenance function providing expertise to project planning teams.
The following are required:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Working knowledge of various building equipment and systems through direct experience
- Working knowledge of piping and instrument drawings, schematics and equipment drawings
- Ability to interpret technical vendor literature and transfer this information independently and effectively to critical work processes
- Ability and willingness to work 2nd/3rd which includes working weekends and holidays
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications, such as Word and Excel, as well as the ability to learn new systems quickly
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills are required
- Strong multi-tasking, problem solving and time management skills
- Able to read, write, and speak English
- Possess a current, valid US driver’s license
Ability and willingness to do all the following:
- Willing to work in low temperatures on occasion and around biohazards, radiation and chemicals.
- Work in environments wearing safety equipment, such as respirator, earplugs, goggles, and steel-toed shoes.
- Ability to wear PAPR and N95 respirator
- Must be able to pass a spirometry test
- May be asked to pass a pulmonary function test
- Works around Noise (>85 dB per 8 hour shift)
- Work in such environments which require frequent (50% of workday) bending, reaching, and lifting
- Work in environments with tight or closed-in spaces
- Climb stairs/ladders and work on heightened surfaces
- Walk up to 3 miles daily
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
- A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position, including for any type of U.S. permanent residency (green card)
- 2+ years of experience working with facilitates equipment such as: steam and hot water boilers, chillers
- Experience working in a Power Plant, Hospital or similar environment
- Refrigeration and electrical experience
- Boiler Operator Certified or willing to become certified
- Universal Refrigeration License
- Fork Truck License
Let’s peek at how you can grow your wellbeing, health, and future at Corteva!
- Strike a better work-life balance with robust time off benefits including paid maternity, paternal and family illness leave
- Prepare for your future with our competitive retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement program, and more
- Enjoy access to health benefits for you and your family on your first day of employment
- And much, much more!
Ready to grow your perspectives, impact and career? Start by applying to this opportunity today!