Syngenta is a global leader in agriculture; rooted in science and dedicated to bringing plant potential to life. Each of our 28,000 employees in more than 90 countries work together to solve one of humanity’s most pressing challenges: growing more food with fewer resources. A diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace environment are enablers of our ambition to be the most collaborative and trusted team in agriculture. Our employees reflect the diversity of our customers, the markets where we operate and the communities which we serve. No matter what your position, you will have a vital role in safely feeding the world and taking care of our planet. Join us and help shape the future of agriculture.
Through leading innovations, we help farmers around the world meet the challenge of feeding a growing population and taking care of our planet. We are currently seeking a Scientist II for our Maize Transformation team in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.
- Focused member of a team dedicated to transgenic maize event production and process improvement
- Contribute to process improvement and new capability development efforts in crop genetic transformation and precision genome engineering
- Is result-oriented and be able to work in a team environment
- Take personal responsibility for personal health and safety and that of co-workers
- Perform all activities in accordance with all applicable Syngenta Health, Safety, and Environmental HSE policies
- Execute or coordinate complex experiments to generate scientific/technical data using established systems and procedures and protocols.
- Follow quality management system instructions and maintain accurate experimental records according to company policy with outstanding attention to detail
- Maintain accurate experimental records according company policies with outstanding attention to detail
- Effectively interpret data and present results in consultation with supervisor in order to make contributions to decisions in the work program content, procedures or problem resolution
- Share results with team members and other scientists in a timely fashion
- Is skilled in a range of processes, procedures, and systems to carry out assigned tasks or has developed deep skills in a single area.
- Provides informal guidance and support to other team members
- Ensure that HSE considerations are integrated into all activities
Knowledge, experience & capabilities
- Solid experience in plant tissue culture, transformation
- Excellent analytical and communication skills in interpreting and presenting study results
- Proficiency in use of standard software e.g., Excel and PowerPoint; familiarity with databases and DNA manipulation software preferred
- Demonstrated problem-solving ability in the context of transformation, molecular biology, and genetics
- Demonstrated experience in working effectively as a member of a dynamic technical team
- Flexibility in handling new job assignments and achieve results in a rapidly changing work environment
Strong scientific background in plant tissue culture and genetic transformation, preferably with experience in maize transformation and proven records in optimizing different selection markers in elite lines Excellent knowledge in Agrobacterium-mediated transformation and/or plant -microbial interactions Broad knowledge and/or experience in molecular biology Critical knowledge of plant genetics, development, physiology and biotechnology
BS or MS with 2 to 5 years of tissue culture experience in a biotechnology research lab. Experience in plant tissue culture and transformation is preferred
Critical success factors & key challenges
- Positive outlook and excellent technical skillls who enjoys working in a team environment
- Creativity and innovation to conceive, design and test novel ideas
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills
- Flexibility and teamwork
- Excellent scientific knowledge and a quick learner Effectively implement and report results from transformation studies. Ability to work in an inclusive and multicultural environment
- A minimum of 6 months in current position is required requirement for internal applicants only All applicants must be eligible to work Green card in the US. Comfortable in multi-cultural environment Minimal travel Open office environment Collaborative culture
Employee may as part of his/her role and maybe through multifunctional teams participate in the creation and design of innovative solutions. In this context, Employee may contribute to inventions, designs, other work product, including know-how, copyrights, software, innovations, solutions, and other intellectual assets.
What We Offer:
Full Benefit Package Medical, Dental & Vision that starts the same day you do 401k plan with company match, Profit Sharing & Retirement Savings Contribution Open Vacation Policy with a minimum of 15 days of vacation and up to 30 days with manager approval, 9 Paid Holidays Maternity and Paternity Leave, Education Assistance, Wellness Programs, Corporate Discounts among others A culture that promotes work/life balance, celebrates diversity, and offers numerous family-oriented events throughout the year
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Family and Medical Leave Act FMLA
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's EEOC
Employee Polygraph Protection Act EPPA