Syngenta is a global leader in agriculture; rooted in science and dedicated to bringing plant potential to life. Each of our 28,000 employees in more than 90 countries work together to solve one of humanity’s most pressing challenges: growing more food with fewer resources. A diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace environment are enablers of our ambition to be the most collaborative and trusted team in agriculture. Our employees reflect the diversity of our customers, the markets where we operate and the communities which we serve. Join us and help shape the future of agriculture.
At Syngenta, we believe every employee has a role to play in safely feeding the world and taking care of our planet. To support that challenge, the Seeds Development Team is currently seeking a Operations Lead, to be located in Highland, IL
The Senior RA for nursery operations is responsible for co-leading a team that delivers nursery seed production on quantity, quality, time and budget for both corn and soybean. Key responsibilities include but are not limited to;
Effectively leading the seeds Production and Processing activities at the site to deliver against the site level nursery work load.
Developing junior RA staff and incorporating leading capabilities and technologies in daily seed production operations in order to generate the highest quality seed in an efficient, safe, timely and environmentally sound manner.
- Work in a team based environment to effectively manage and deliver site level nursery operations workload:
- Plan, execute and deliver seed quantities required on necessary timelines within allocated budget.
- Propose investment in capabilities and infrastructure for seed production and processing at site level in alignment with Seeds Development strategy and capital processes.
- Define site level resource availability for seed production and processing, ensure proper alignment of workload against that availability.
- Develop and continuously update unit costs for all nursery operations tasks conducted at the site level
- Ensure timely execution of nursery operations on site
- Optimize delivery of physical seed at the site level Quality, Quantity and Timeliness
- Ensure seed production and processing activities at the site are conducted in accordance with company HSE standards
- Facilitate nursery operations alignment with other functions at the station
• Ensure people management processes, people capabilities and training plans are in place for the station level nursery operations team
• HSE and Code of Conduct responsibility for the nursery operations team at the station
Reporting / Communication
• Ensure transparency and cross-site communications regarding operational efficiencies and best practices.
• Responsible for reporting seed production status updates and KPIs at the site.
Minimum of a Bachelors Degree in Agronomy, Biology or related field with good understanding of agriculture, crop management and production principles. Very good understanding of seed production nursery operations processes and sufficient knowledge to identify the critical issues and engage effectively with people to solve problems Strong leadership skills with a history of getting things done in a complex operational environment. Management and demonstrated success delivering work load on budget. Demonstrated ability to network across functions. Self-driven with a passion for solving complex problems. Strong organization and computer skills. Strong interpersonal skills, especially those required to successfully function as part of a cross-functional team. Ability to understand and communicate complex instructions. Track record of delivery Strong communicator with ability to influence, build consensus and gain support. Demonstrated decision making & problem solving capabilities in the face of conflicting priorities and ambiguity Understand and use of modern agronomic practices. Ability to use MS Office, especially Word, Excel, Power Point and other standard office software. Ability to learn, use and support proprietary IT systems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Capable of working in high or low temperature conditions in field or greenhouse. Capable of lifting up to 50 pounds. Capable of working long hours during time-critical periods of the growing season
WORKING CONDITIONS WHILE PERFORMING ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Field, greenhouse, laboratory, office. Domestic and international travel required with occasional overnight stays. Stays at off-season production/nursery locations may extend to two to three weeks. Potential allergens pollen, fungal spores, chemical pesticides in the field or greenhouse. Seasonal travel to off-station testing locations, project meetings, and winter nursery locations
What We Offer:
Full Benefit Package Medical, Dental & Vision that starts the same day you do 401k plan with company match, Profit Sharing & Retirement Savings Contribution Paid Vacation, 9 Paid Holidays, Maternity and Paternity Leave, Education Assistance, Wellness Programs, Corporate Discounts among others A culture that promotes work/life balance, celebrates diversity and offers numerous family-oriented events throughout the year
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Family and Medical Leave Act FMLA
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's EEOC
Employee Polygraph Protection Act EPPA