Who are we, and what do we do?
At Corteva Agriscience, you will help us grow what’s next. No matter your role, you will be part of a team that is building the future of agriculture – leading breakthroughs in the innovation and application of science and technology that will better the lives of people all over the world and fuel the progress of humankind.
How will you help us grow? It matters to us, and it matters to you!
In this dual role, the Crop Protection Discovery & Development (CPDD) Field Sciences (FS) Modernization Scientist will coordinate development and characterization of digital and automation technologies for CPDD FS Modernization efforts (50% of time). Additionally, for UAS compliance, this position will lead the global CPDD UAS network and collaborate with Corteva UAS Coordination Team (50% of time) to ensure UAS is in operation with full compliance worldwide.
As the CPDD Modernization Scientist, this person, will serve and support cross-functional project teams supporting CP FS Modernization and cross-functional collaborations across early, mid, and late phase R&D testing and commercial product launch groups. The CPDD Modernization Scientist will have full knowledge of the CPDD modernization program strategy to ensure technology activities and deliverables are executed. Assists the Global CPDD FS Modernization Leader to develop work plans and budgets according to the program strategy and delivers relevant technology work products, which include business cases and other summary documents. This scientist will focus on early to mid-stage controlled environments and field testing of new technologies, sensors, automation, systems, and processes. Additionally, this person will help build out an internal simulated field greenhouse to enable further testing of various digital technologies and tools.
The CPDD’s UAS Compliance Lead is accountable for successful implementation of enterprise-wide, globally relevant policies for Corteva CPDD employees’ use of company UAS, which include product and field inspections, characterization of products, intensive data collection, agronomic and product monitoring, and aerial application of products. The lead will work with UAS Global Compliance Lead and other internal stakeholders to ensure training, compliance, and inventory is tracked and current in CPDD. The lead will also be the focal point of CPDD global UAS network for collecting and updating local regulatory requirements for operating UAS and ensuring operators have appropriate certification and training, as well as lead the creation and dissemination of UAS best practices working close with the UAS Global Compliance Lead.
Responsibilities and Activities:
- Research: Lead, coordinate and collaborate field science modernization projects for CPDD
- Must anticipate and preempt issues and conversely anticipate and bring forth new opportunities.
- Alpha testing of hardware and data/image collection to support solution development.
- Must quickly identify and resolve program and project issues and effectively communicate these issues to Global CPDD FS Mod Leader and project stakeholders.
- Keeps Global CPDD FS Modernization Leader informed about project progress and emerging issues.
- May lead onsite stakeholder and customer tours to demonstrate digital tools and testing within controlled environments/simulated field greenhouse.
- While not in the position of managing people, this dual role lead has influence on the development of others through coaching, feedback mechanisms, and training of digital technologies.
- Utilizing a visual dashboard, such as PowerBI, provide timely global compliance and training visualization snapshots to key stakeholders.
- Compliance. Lead implementation of Corteva’s Global Compliance program for its UAS operations in CPD&D
- Participates global internal policy development, leads communication and implementation of the global internal policy for UAS within CPDD.
- Develops and implements training and auditing plans for CPDD to ensure compliance to regulatory bodies such as the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and company UAS policies.
- Oversees CPDD incident reporting to regulatory agencies and subsequent root/cause analysis of incidents involving UAS in coordination with the Global UAS Compliance Lead.
- Awareness, consideration & collaboration related to compliance of CPDD UAS assets (imagery, data, hardware & software) to effectively transfer elements across jurisdictions & remain compliant with internal and external regulations.
- Develop, maintain, and adapt a mechanism to capture and communicate country-level UAS regulatory requirements to relevant UAS operators across CPDD.
- Partner with UAS networks and CP Field Science Modernization leadership to provides input into CPDD UAS short- and long-term strategy.
- Administration. Oversee administration and tracking of CPDD’s UAS equipment and training
- Maintains a tracking mechanism for UAS pilots in CPDD, status, and certifications.
- Implements required UAS training program for CPDD users to ensure certifications are maintained prior to flying equipment.
- Track the UAS equipment inventory and replacement program.
- Coordinates registration of drones and associated insurance needs by location/user.
- Provides guidance for promotional, communications & security UAS uses for both internal and external parties.
- Participate a partnership network for UAS groups across CPD&D and enable sharing of UAS best practices
- Engages the full community of CPD&D partners, users, and stakeholders to understand and to gain critical insight into their needs, expectations, and concerns and to identify the keys to success, challenges, and functionalities necessary to ensure system performance meets expectations.
- Serves as a key CPD&D advisor on internal UAS compliance policy to Corteva teams.
- Utilizes network and guides, educates, partners, and mentors Corteva staff, by sharing expertise and knowledge, leading to successful internal compliance policy development and implementation.
What expertise have you grown? What do you bring to the table?
- PhD, MS degree with 5+ years, or BS degree (10+ years) with extensive digital tools/UAS experience and project management (potential degrees – Agricultural disciplines, engineering, environmental sciences, digital sciences).
- UAS experience is required with FAA Certification and Corteva Training.
- Advanced applied agricultural skills are useful but not required.
- Extensive & current experience with digital/remote sensing tools, proximal image and mobile data collection, GIS tools, as well as image processing, image analysis and data governance principles.
- Experience in image analysis, machine learning/AI algorithm development, engineering, or robotics would be a plus.
- Strong communication (written/oral) skills, English language.
- Innovative and creative problem-solving mindset.
- Exceptional collaboration and networking capabilities is an absolute requirement for any candidate.
- Broad technical knowledge and experience leading regional/global projects.
- Knowledge of field trial software systems (e.g., ARM) is desired.
- A knowledge of global requirements for regulatory field trials is desired.
- Good understanding of current and emerging technology markets.
- Ability to handle multiple, complex projects in a collaborative global environment with diverse set of stakeholders.
- Ability to negotiate solutions and advocate CPDD needs to diverse stakeholders.
- Desire and ability to drive change, with strong influential leadership skillset.
- Ability to effectively communicate, work within a team setting, motivate teams and individuals, and build and maintain good relationships.
- Ability to influence without authority
We care about you and we care that you're comfortable. While there's no place like home, Corteva comes close.
Let’s peek at how you can grow your wellbeing, health, and future at Corteva!
• Strike a better worklife balance with robust time off benefits including paid maternity, paternal and family illness leave
• Prepare for your future with our competitive retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement program, and more
• Enjoy access to health benefits for you and your family on your first day of employment
• And much, much more!
Ready to grow your perspectives, impact and career? Start by applying to this opportunity today!